Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Lala the Magnificient

In my spare time, I, Lala the Art Geek, am not an art geek at all. I have a secret identify. Shhhh, don't tell anyone. I am actually Lala The Magnificent. Magnificient in many ways:

a) I am the greatest magician you will ever meet. Houdini who?

b) I am not only a Magnificient magician, but I'm a magnificient hero as well. I am the caped crusader for my quiet suburban town. I help the helpless and bring hope to the hopeless.

c) I can wear my heels and pencil skirt and mexican blouse and still kick butt and do magic tricks. Now who can top that? Give up? No one. Exactly.

However, today I realized that I do not have the right outfit for the other part of my double life. What was missing? I have my poser of a top hat. I have my magical wands. I had a bunny who sadly ran away to join the gang of wild bunnies because she thought I was too much of a loser to hang out with that she had to join a gang. But it's okay because I can always find one of the wild bunnies running around in my neighborhood, they're not that hard to find. I also have my tykeboy, who is always an excellent alternative. So basically, I had everything except that one special thing that gives a magician/caped crusader that special pizazz. I was missing a cape.

But fear not fellow friends! I now have a lovely cape to call my own built from the very scratches of that despicable skirt that left me looking like overstuffed saugsage I found on my recent thrift trip. At first I was about to do another "When Skirts Don't Fit" re-invention, but it ended in disaster. I guess you just can't force some skirts to fit and look good no matter what you do.

What I basically did was cut open the skirt. Place it on my shoulders to see if it fit. Sew some unfinished hems and then add some ribbon. Voila! It's really easy to do actually. So all you out there with the desire to be a magician or a caped crusader or just plain cool go make one now!
Photos of it in all its glory. With top hat and fancy mask.





My dad was laughing at me when I went to take pictures. Watch out daddy-o, I can put a spell on you! It was funny because yesterday after watching some LA Ink, I asked my dad if he got a vasectomy. I don't know if he was pretending not to understand really did not understand. I guess it was inappropriate to ask, but I just wanted to know if I would ever have a baby brother.


Another sidenote, don't perfume bottles make the coolest flower vases?

Sniff me.

15 comments:

carcar said...

aww!! your skirt/cape turned out really well :)! and your perfume vase is mucho cool!

Kori said...

Ha! You're hilarious:)

I looooove how the cape turned out. I looks amazing!

K. said...

your blog is so much fun; i can't wait to read more now that i've found it!

good luck with your double life.. i'm sure you will make a fantastic superhero :)

SKYLA said...

Lala you are so orginal! you continue to customise amazingly! =D

Raven said...

That's cool! I really wish I could sew.

Meghann E said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE.

I can't wait to learn how to use my new sewing machine so I can be as cool as you!

rice paper girl said...

you are too cool for school.

you're the best superhero since spiderman :o

Anonymous said...

WOw! incredible!!! now i know what to do with the skirts that don´t fit!!

you´re an amazing fashion-hero!!!

AsianCajuns said...

That's so impressive! It really looks like a cape, not a skirt turned into a cape. Well done!

Frasier said...

The cape looks great...I like your outfit too,very feminine

s.i. michaels said...

Oh my God! This is so awesome! The pleats are perfect.

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

oh wow I love the whole cape look especially with your lacy dress!

Isabel said...

I want a cape and a vasectomy. Man, who would've thought to make a cape out of a skirt? Only the magical lalaliu!!!

Meg said...

That cape is le shit! It's fabulous! You remind me of Juliet Berto.

L.I.N said...

Ahaha... Your post are always fun to read! and what a fantastic idea!