- Scraps in all sizes, colors, shape. Don't discriminate!
- Hot glue gun
- Safety pins.
- Sewing Machine or thread & needle
- Any other bits and bobbins you want to add.
I'll start with the Twisted Cloud and Leprechaun Petals since they were the easiest.
- First take a piece of scrap, preferrably a piece that is more squarish or roundish in size anything that's not super long and thin is what I'm trying to say.
- Fold in the edges toward the center. Just fold. Fold it like you mean it. Twist it like you want it. Shape it as you like it.
- Most of the edges should fall somewhere into the center.
- Pin down and sew an 'X'.
- Now just add a safety pin on the back size and loop it through a ribbon.
Braidy Bunch and Exploding Veins
- Take fabric and cut into long strips. If strips aren't long enough you can always connect more pieces.
- Braid it like a normal braid.
- Tie the ends together with a little extra at the end so its like a bulbous rash on the top of your head. That's the braidy bunch for you.
- For exploding veins, you braided fabric should be a little on the stiff side. Tie it in all random shapes and 3-D if you like.
- Glue down to keep shape.
- Slip ribbon through.
- Done again. Wow that was fast!
- For this one, take little rectangular pieces and just tie knots. Knot it like you know it.
- The knots should form a circular shape. Cut loose ends.
- Make many of these.
- Clump together and use yarn to connect together. It will be a puzzle. Just try to make all the pieces attached.
- Attach ribbon on left and right side of mass
- Done. Now you can have a barnacle on your head.
As you can see, my instructions are rather lame. But that's the point. The point is to just get out your scraps and your trash and just do whatever. Play around with easy techniques like braiding and knotting and weaving and who knows what concoction you can come up with. Just remember there's no such thing as wrong. "Ew" maybe. But never wrong. I thought Periwinkle was super wrong at first but I've come to love it and it's wrongness is so right in my eyes.
Now go play with your scraps, create something "ew-abulous" and show me. I swear I won't laugh. Maybe just a little. But I laugh because I love it.
Off to packing again.